Tuesday 14 April 2009

Living Threads Exhibition



Just a quick post today to remind anyone who is anywhere near to Long Eaton in Derbyshire that the latest Living Threads Exhibition is still going on at Trent College and is an event not to be missed. It is a textile exhibition that takes place every two years and the standard of work has to be seen to be believed. The group started in 1983 and now has around 70 members covering beading, embroidery, feltmaking, knitting, lacemaking, quilting, rugmaking and weaving. It is a stunning exhibition, the only downside being unable to take photos to share with you. It is on daily until Saturday 18th April from 10.00 am - 5.30 (5.00 pm on Saturday) and only costs £2.50 with free parking so do try and see it if you can, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

The new sewing table arrived from Bernina arrived today so tomorrow I intend to make a start on the piece that will hopefully be ready for the Festival of Quilts in August.

I also got my April Journal Quilt done for the Contemporary Group and am quite pleased with the way it has turned out. I decided to do reverse applique then added scrim and some beading. Quite labour intensive for a 12" x 6" piece.



I am also looking forward to Saturday as I have booked to attend a workshop at The Beetroot Tree with Alysn Midgelow-Marsden called Sculpted Surprises which involves creating something three dimensional using a combination of woven metals, machine applique techniques with sheer fabrics, Fibre DK and hand embellishments. Classes with Alysn are always entertaining and extremely enjoyable so hopefully I will have something to show you next week. It will be nice to do a workshop with human contact for a change after all the online classes.

I will now go and catch up with what all of you out there have been doing.

Enjoy your creativity

Maggi

13 comments:

  1. Hi - love this journal quilt and your flower quilts on the Little Gems page - have just put two and two together and realised who you are (it's an age thing, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journal quilt is beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make at the Beetroot Tree workshop - it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty..pretty!! No..beautiful...is better said.
    Cannot wait to see what you will post after the workshop..Wishing you lots of fun and inspiration!
    Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this journal quilt, great colours and stitching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go to the show! Unfortunately, I don't even get to make it to the bigger shows here in America and my travels are so limited! But I bet you will have a blast, and walk away with a lot of inspiration!

    I love the sparkly threads you have chosen for the quilting along with the other embellishments on this piece. Stunning!

    Have fun with the new Bernina table, and have fun at your workshop! Sounds like a good time!

    And thanks to you, as well,for your kind comments you have left on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the Living Threads exhibition was fresher this year, many of the regulars seem to be finding new directions making it, in my mind, the best show for the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BELLISSIMO yuor journal quilt!

    enjoy the show and ............I wait for the photos.
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie. I wish I lived a little nearer! Hopefully next time I will be able to attend the show. Your journal quilt is beautiful! Really Beautiful! Good luck with the new sewing table. And enjoy your workshop it sounds wonderful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely! It might have been a lot of work, but the result is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said it was labour intensive but my goodness it was worth it.The quilt is stunning with a very organic feel and I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maggi

    I won't be able to get to the Living Threads Exhibition - just a bit too far away - but I love your journal quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely the journal quilt - the colours are beautiful and the scrim is so subtle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this journal quilt Maggie - just love everything about it....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I do appreciate your comments and will try to acknowledge them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.