Thursday 13 November 2008

Work in progress

Finally have managed to get time to do some more work on the book cover from Maggie Grey's online FREE lessons. The photographs have not turned out too well as it is grey and miserable here and even with the lights on the flash insists on coming out to play. At least they give an idea of progress so far. I still have the inside of the cover to paint and the pages to do but all that involves going out to the garage - no way that is going to happen today.






They are not quite as textured as they should be as the gesso I used was Windsor and Newton which is apparently not as thick as Daler Rowney - ah well it is worth giving everything a try as all have their own little quirks. At least it is a reference point for any further items.

I also decided that all the ATCs that I received from members of the Embellish, Stitch and Enrich group are going to be kept in a book as I don't have the space to keep them out on display otherwise. Another experiment from Textile Translations is going to be turned into the cover. This is the basic cover which still needs to have some stitching on it and then be assembled. Again problems with the flash.



I'm not sure where the time has gone this week. I do not seem to have stopped and yet can't see what I have achieved - there must be something there.

I had to go into work on Tuesday night to cover Derby's cup game against Leeds, fortunately no trouble at the match but then we were all kept on for an extra couple of hours on standby as a fifteen year old boy had just been fatally shot. This is not the centre of a big city, it is an area of Derby and, although there have been some gun issues lately, this is the first time that this has happened. Somehow, with the gang culture as it is, it was bound to happen eventually, just hope that there is not a backlash against it. What a waste of a young life though. I was listening to the radio this morning and various agencies were saying that there is just not enough for young people to do these days. What has happened where, as a society, our young people always have to have 'entertainment' provided for them and cannot develop an interest in things for themselves?

Right enough, I shall get off my soapbox now and go do some sewing that does not involve going out in the rain.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! Which books do you have of Maggie Grey's? I was going to order Embellish and Stitch...It looks really good.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks just beautiful! Thanks for visiting my blog "thirdgirlfromthright". You said you found it on "TQS". Im not sure what that is lol What does that acronym stand for so I can try to fix the link?

    Thanks!! Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I scrolled through your blog and found "The Quilt Show". I've now fixed the link. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and happy creating. Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book cover is looking great you have been a busy bee with that and Sharons course and Dales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book is great!! Well done!
    And your blog is also very interesting,
    Fabienne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I do appreciate your comments and will try to acknowledge them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.