I know that it is the start of February but I have finished my January Journal Quilt for the Contemporary Quilt Group at last. The format this year is 6" x 12" which I have found is a really comfortable size to work with. There is no theme we have to work to so my initial thoughts are to explore Photoshop - although that may change. I had a piece of hand dyed fabric that I wanted to use for something and it was just the right size for this project - less than an inch leeway on either side. My Hippeastrum that I showed a bud of in an earlier post had just came out so I decided to play around with that in Photoshop for a while and eventually came up with the placement. The one aspect of this that I agonised over for some time was the quilting. I loved the fabric so much that I didn't want to detract from it so I eventually decided on a complete contrast to the organic feel to the piece and go with straight lines. I am happy with the result fortunately.
This is the Hippeastrum in full bloom - all four flowers were 7" across when fully open.
Like everyone else over here we've had our fair share of snow overnight. I spent two hours clearing the drive this morning ready for going to work on Thursday morning only to discover that more is forecast. Perhaps I should explain that I live in a cul de sac the start of which is a steep hill. My drive is also on a slope. We never get gritted and getting out is as hazardous as getting in as you literally slide down to the junction at the bottom. There have been several occasions when I have had to leave the car somewhere at the bottom. I don't have the option of a day off on Thursday if it is bad so will have to brave the elements at 5.30 am and hope for the best.
This is what I was watching last night and believe it or not there are normally hills beyond the roof in the photo.